Monday, March 25, 2013

From Couch Potato to Running a 10K

Instead of catching up by typing all that I have written in my notebook over the course of the last 3 months, I'll just "highlight" what I have learned since I have started this running journey.

First, I have been a couch potato, per say, for many years now.  The last time I ran was in basic training, 15 years ago this year (I know, that dates me, but who cares - I'm out there running after stopping for so many years)!  "What about tech school (training after basic - for those not familiar with military lingo)?" You ask.  Well, I developed really bad shin splints in basic training.  So bad that I couldn't finished the required march we had - I sure felt like a fool not being able to walk any more.  Fortunately, I was able to finish my required run to graduate from basic though.  I had waivers to not run during my 10 months of tech school.  Lucky?  Maybe.  But I never got true answers on why my shins were in such pain, nor did I ever have guidance to prevent future pain either.  I did get more physical shortly after getting to my first duty station - Nellis AFB in Las Vegas - but that was short(er) lived than I would have liked.  I was big into rock climbing before and during my first pregnancy.  Why I didn't get back into it once she was born is disappointing to me.  But, no need to dwell.

Anyway, here we are 10 years after my last real physical activity with the same shin issues.  They started shortly after I started running again.  I thought I was destined to never run a half-marathon... but I did a little research and realized that there are a few things I can change as well as do to prevent future pain.  Shoes were the number one factor.  Not possible!  I "JUST" bought my shoes 8 months prior.  No way my shoes were worn out already.  So I took the new insoles route first.  OUCH! Bad idea!  I came to grips with reality (as well as convincing my husband the same) and my search for a new shoe began.  I'll cut it short.  I ended up buying Brooks shoes, a brand that so many have recommended, but ones that I have never tried myself.  My 3rd run in my new shoes convinced me that I could continue running after all -- I hit my furthest distance, to date, at 2.25 miles!  That was huge.  I was signed up for my first 5K trail run a week later so I HAD to run as far as I could.  Although I didn't hit the 5K distance on that run, I knew I could finish that race because I had stopped before I was even remotely tired.  I ran out of time that day - I had a plane to catch in just over an hour!  I was averaging 1.5 miles prior to my new shoes - and shin splint pain all day and night after my runs. 
 Now, a month after my purchase, I'm easily averaging a 5K.  It seems like a dream to say those words -- "I'm easily averaging a 5K" when I could barely make it to one mile in January!

My second physical lesson comes from tending to and preventing shin splints.  I started using Bengay when the pain started.  Love the smell, but I'm pretty sure others around me can smell me from a mile away!  So I don't use the stuff too often.  When I bought my shoes I also bought a couple pair of compression socks after a friend suggested I try them and I have worn them with every run since.  I recently read that there is no real connection of them helping you during a run, but it makes me feel better, so I continue to make a fashion statement on days I wear shorts or capris - which is becoming more often here in TX.  

About 3 weeks ago I started icing more regularly too.  Typically, I ice both shins the night I did my run.  It seems to help my not being so sore or tense when I wake up in the mornings.  The last thing I've started doing came about a week and a half ago now.  Another friend suggested that I try using a product called KT Tape.  After doing a search, because I didn't know what she was talking about, I learned that it's the same stuff the ladies from the Olympic Beach Volleyball team use.  You know, the stuff you see on their shoulders.  My youngest daughter thought I needed neon pink, so I sported that on our day trip to the lake 2 weekends ago.  I made a huge fashion statement that day, for sure, but the sports store didn't have beige color (in the Pro style) when I purchased the neon pink.  So, standing out (and pleasing my daughter for choosing the color) was it. :) I know it's recommended that you leave the tape on for several days, but I could only handle the tape on my shins for 24 hours.  Regardless of the short time, I feel that it has helped me.  More on this at a later time.

Now comes the mindset lessons. I learned that running is more a mental mindset than the physical act of running.  Getting up in the morning with the right frame of mind helps tremendously.  Keeping those thoughts flowing leading up to my run also helps.  But the most important thoughts come WHILE running.  Continually setting a small, attainable goal helps me to push myself further and further.  Mine are usually in increments of 1/4 mile since the track I use has markers like that.  But there are times I use benches or light poles as a goal too.

I also remind myself of what will happen just a little further down the track.  Usually, the wind blows on one side of my track and after I've been running past the 2 mile marker the wind feels awesome!  I start thinking about how great it'll be to post what accomplishment I just made on F/Bboth personal and through the fitness group page.  I even make fun of my situation - ie, LOVING the wind when really it's KILLING me to run in it on certain parts of the run or that I really enjoy being so cold in the morning.  

I have also learned that it takes my body, shins included, at least 2 miles to warm up and to accept that I'm moving my legs back and forth like that.  Because of that realization and knowledge, I will continually remind myself to make it to the 2 mile marker before giving into my mental games of wanting to stop running.  It is there that I usually get my 2nd wind.  I get my next boost around 3 miles because that's the 5K mark and then again at 5 miles because it's just cool to say you've ran 5 miles!  Hitting that 5 mile mark also helps boost my spirits to get to 6 miles, which is just shy of a 10K.

A short side note before I leave: To date, I have hit that 10K marker.  Really, I've gone just a little further, but who's keeping track but me, huh?  But, what an accomplishment!  I have now set my sights on hitting 13.1 miles.  You know what that means, right?  A half-marathon!  Not as far off as I had thought just last week. :)



3 comments:

  1. You are inspiring! I signed up for a 6k in May!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! There's just over 1/2 mile difference between the 2 so the way I see it, if you can hit the 5K mark, the 6K would be easy! :)

    I'm so glad that I can inspire at least ONE person! :) Way to go! I'll be doing a 5K in May too! I know you're not even in the same State as I, but are you running the "Run Like a Mother" near you?? That's the one I'll be running - in Dallas. :)

    ReplyDelete