Monday, March 25, 2013

Where My Crazy Idea Started

A friend of mine started a blog over the weekend about her first, and most recent, 10K - one that I had originally wanted to run.  We'll discuss that in a later blog.  She also posted it in our fitness page via F/B asking if anyone else in the group were bloggers and, if so, what they blogged about.  And so, that got me thinking about doing the same thru a blogging site, such as this.  I "blog", just not thru a blogging site.  You see, I started tracking the amount of miles I ran, really, walked, each time I went out there since January 2013.  So, let's start there - the beginning - because that's only logical to me.  Eventually, I'll get this blog "caught up" to where I am today.  Bear with me until that happens.

12 Dec 2012 was the start of my crazy idea of running a half-marathon when I posted on F/B asking if others had trained for one before.  I got many responses of encouragement, which meant the world to me.  Next, well, really, shortly after posting on F/B I told Jay about my crazy idea.  He was half asleep, but he was encouraging too.  I'm not sure where the thought of running came into my head.  Maybe it came from always watching Jay go out there and run (he had recently started up again).  It could have been that I wanted the freedom I felt when I ran back in high school  Either way, I got the running bug and I wanted to embrace it FAST!

And so, my journey to find out all I could about training for a half-marathon began... I found Apps for my phone, website's with training programs to print, I even started searching for races.  Okay, so before all those more than novice runners out there reading say, "You really should start with a 5K so you won't hurt yourself", CHILL-LAX.  It's only logical that I wouldn't just jump into a H-M before running a few shorter races first. :)  I'm crazy, not stupid!

I got out there and started running after picking my girls up from school (getting my oldest into it even),  It wasn't something I made a habit of doing between when i mentioned wanting to run and the beginning of the year, but I felt good on those days making it much easier to get my mindset aligned with my new plans and goals. 

It didn't take long to find a running partner - Becky.  Honestly, I wasn't looking for one, but when I had mentioned I had started to run, she said she would like to start running with me.  I just had to wait until the beginning of the year - she needed to get her mind in the right mindset and deemed the first of the year the best for her.  :)  PERFECT!  I could better ease my mind into this "new" running gig before going out there and killing myself.  We agreed on meeting at my place and walking to the park to run 3 times a week on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays right after dropping our girls off at school.

The journey of running a half-marathon had begun...

No comments:

Post a Comment