Friday, April 26, 2013

AVOCADOS = YUMMO!!

So, I gotta admit, when I saw a friend eat a fresh avocado 15 years ago, I thought they were nuts!  Boy had I lived a sheltered life living in the North. :)  It took about 10 years, but I FINALLY tried avocado WITHOUT it being mashed into and mix with other ingredients to make something new, such as guacamole (which, I have also found a newfound love for).  Back then, I only tired it once and left it at that mostly because I couldn't get past the less than firm texture of the fruit - and I'm a terrible eater when it comes to soggy bread or anything remotely similar.

Then walks in someone I met when I got to TX -  a dear friend - who will eat a whole fresh avocado for lunch without hesitation.  She even has her kiddos eating avocado!  How many children do you know who will eat FRESH avocado?!  I know there are more out there, but mine are not those children!  Since I saw her absolutely in love with the fruit, and I had been seeing multiple recipes with it included -- calling it a "Super Fruit" -- in recent months, I thought I would give it another [honest] whirl!

Yep, you guessed it - I love the fruit now!  I will have at least one a day -- and wouldn't mind having it more than once, but since hubby eats them too I make sure to limit my consumption.  I don't even have to smashed it up to make it into guac to like it.  Typically, I'll sliced it up and have it with my morning meal of eggs, but I have been known to eat them with my sandwich at lunch time too! :)

SO - if you're wanting to try something new, something that's healthy for ya, then try out fresh avocado!!  I do add salt to mine because I like the way it tastes, but it's a matter of preference. ;)

Photo taken from https://www.avocadocentral.com/nutrition/nutrition-professionals/health-tip-sheet

1 comment:

  1. HUGE fan I am also! Though, my calorie counting doesn't allow me to eat one a day - though I would!!

    ReplyDelete