Monday, April 22, 2013

Boston Marathon Tragedy pushed Runners to Unite!

It's been almost a month since I've actually posted in here.  I have several posts that are sitting in the draft folder, but we'll get to those another day.

Today is a time for reflection.

Last Monday tragedy struck the runners around the world, even though the tragedy physically occurred at the Boston Marathon.  Sadly, three precious lives were taken that day and at least 170 people were injured.  One of the 3 that was so frivolously killed was an 8-yr-old boy who was cheering his father on at the race.  Not only did this father lose one of his sons, he's dealing with a wife who went into brain surgery and a daughter who was also severely injured by the senseless act of these 2 ID ten T's!  I can't help but realize that this young boy was just a little older than my middle one and how hard it must be for his father to be dealing with his family being torn apart because they wanted to watch their husband and father run the elite Boston Marathon race on Monday.

BUT -- the cowards who tried to drop the spirits of the runners, only further united the biggest group I have seen in a long time.  In the last week, I have seen so many running groups band together to pay tribute to the runners and their families who were directly affected by this tragedy.  Runners and walkers alike were out there with their race day shirts on the DAY AFTER the bombings occurred to pay tribute.  Groups were creating shirts and will be donating the funds to help those affected by the tragedy.  So many runners have dedicated their runs to those in Boston Marathon.  I even saw where MapMyRun members ran around Boston streets with their watch to make it say, "Boston" in San Francisco (see picture below)!

Locally -- well, sort of -- the fitness group I'm involved with via F/B were challenged to get out there to run as far as we could.  I couldn't get out there to run as far as I could until Saturday, but I was able to run the furthest I have ever ran that day!  I even got one of my daughters out there - in rollerblades!  She did amazing!  I know I could have pushed further, but I stopped for 2 reasons -- to not hurt myself (I cut back on my miles last week) and I simply ran out of time (it was WELL passed dinner time)!

In light of the bombings, I had thought of not running any more races... for a minute!  One of my neighbor's laughed as she said, "This is the reason I won't be doing any races... or run!!"  My thoughts are much different, "Why should I let the act of 2 cowards affect what I want to do?"  Yes, I could be killed from someone trying to do the same, but anywhere I go this can happen!  I would be stripping myself of the joys and excitement of running if I let these 2 and others dictate my signing up for races and heading out there on my daily runs!

I'll sign off with this:  Despite the tragedy last week, hubby and I will be signing up for the Half-Marathon in San Antonio that's happening in November.  EEK!!  Okay, so, really, hubby's looking at doing the FULL Marathon that day.  And I won't be running the race alone, even if he is running the marathon, because my neighbor wants to rally a bunch of ladies to run the race together.  FUN!  :)  I'm stoked (but nervous as heck) and I haven't even signed up yet!
MapMyRun.com worker who ran in San Francisco for Boston
Map created by samshah27

No comments:

Post a Comment